my polaroid project...

So Tyler (tylertyndell.blogspot.com) bought a Polaroid camera at a garage sale last week.  We both were so excited to try something so basic that we bought some PX 600 Silver Shade film from the-impossible-project.com.  Thought it would be as easy as it was when I was a kid when we used to get Polaroid film for Christmas morning or on our birthday.  Took my first picture this morning and figured out something right away.  It is not easy getting a good picture with the film that is available now.  This is actually a good thing.  It has challenged me to think about what I am taking a picture of and how much light I really need to avoid overexposing the image.  The camera has a flash that always fires.  This has proved to be a challenge for the 600 ISO film.  It is hard to not overexpose the entire picture, but it is near impossible (no pun intended) to do the same for the subject that is near the camera.  The second picture is a prime example.  It wasn't as easy as just taking the picture and shaking it until it finished developing (you are not suppose to shake it at all).  Had to immediately cover the picture and protect it from any light and place it in the original box for 10 minutes to let it finish developing.  Over the course of the day, I took the remaining 7 pictures (8 total).  With every picture all I could think about was how much each one cost ($3.00 each).  I guess learning something new is not free.  I have two more cartridges left.  Can't wait to get them in the camera and "learn" some more.  However, more than anything, this makes me appreciate the pictures from my Leica M8...


**update**  see additional polaroids at my latest blog by clicking the "instant photos" link in My Other Blogs above.









No comments:

Post a Comment